Keeping your radio running smoothly means investing in the best rechargeable batteries. A good set of rechargeable batteries will always be useful for portable devices.
If you’re a considerable radio fan, then you’ve probably got plenty of devices to help you listen to your favorite channels, wherever you go. These days, you don’t necessarily need a huge, complicated machine when you want to tune into the latest trending hits.
Radios come in a variety of shapes and sizes, some specifically designed to be lightweight and portable.
These cord-free radios are excellent for use on the move, or even just around the house, when you don’t want to worry about wires.
Although there are portable radios out there that use solar power and hand-cranking for energy, most of these devices rely on battery power. That’s why having the best rechargeable batteries are a great investment.
Unlike disposable batteries that quickly eat up your budget, rechargeable batteries can power your radio time and time again, with no additional investment.
Rechargeable batteries are also better for the environment too!
Today, we’re going to look at which rechargeable batteries are best for your radio.
1. Amazon Basics rechargeable AAA batteries
Available as a pack of 12, the Amazon Basics rechargeable AAA batteries are a convenient investment for pocket-sized and portable radios alike.
Many smaller radios rely on the best AAA rechargeable batteries for energy.
With Amazon basics, you get a fantastic 800 mAh capacity, great for giving an extra dose of life to radios and remote controls.
Amazon Basics promises an extremely slow self-discharge with its batteries. This means that you can maintain up to 80% charge for 24 months when you’re not using the batteries.
Another bonus is that the batteries come pre-charged. They’re durable enough to recharge up to 1000 times, with virtually no power loss to worry about.
- Environmentally friendly recyclable design
- 12-pack for versatile use around the house
- Pre-charged and ready to use
- Long battery life
- 800 mAh capacity
- 80% capacity for up to 24 months in storage
- Can withstand up to 1000 charges
- Ships in recyclable packaging
- 1-year warranty included
Amazon Basics’ rechargeable batteries work well for a huge selection of everyday devices.
The packaging and batteries themselves are environmentally friendly, and you don’t have to worry about too much of a gradual decline in performance.
The batteries are a little inconsistent in their performance, however, depending on where they come from.
- Sustainable design
- Great capacity and long life design
- Withstands up to 1000 charges
- Come with a 1 year warranty
- Large pack size
- The quality of the battery differs depending on where they ship from
2. POWEROWL NiMH rechargeable batteries
Another contender for the best AAA rechargeable batteries comes from POWEROWL.
These high-performance batteries come in packs of 8, 12, or 16, so you can stock up as much as you like.
The NiMH battery cell type promises long-term durability, while the 1000mAh capacity ensures that your radio can last longer on a single charge.
Like many of the leading rechargeable AAA batteries, the POWEROWL options come with an extra-long service life.
You can charge these batteries over 1200 times and maintain up to 70% of their power even after non-use for up to 3 years.
The POWEROWL batteries are environmentally friendly too, with no traces of Cd/Pb/Hg.
- NiMH cell
- High capacity 1000 mAh performance
- Long service life lasting up to 3 years
- Charge over 1200 times and they’ll still work well
- Environmentally friendly with no Hg/Cd/Pb
- Great for radios and alarm clocks
- 30-day money back guarantee
- 12 month guarantee
Super durable and reliable, the POWEROWL Best AAA rechargeable batteries are a great product to have on-hand when you want to make sure you’ll never run out of power.
These handy batteries are even suitable for recycling.
Some of these batteries aren’t consistent in diameter, which means they may get stuck in certain radios.
- Excellent high capacity
- Charge over 1200 times without losing strength
- 30-day money back guarantee and 12-month warranty
- Environmentally friendly and recyclable
- Long service life
- Some inconsistency in diameter
3. Duracell Ion Speed rechargeable AA batteries
Duracell are one of the better-known battery companies in the world today.
Popular for long-lasting performance and durability, Duracell excels in both single-use and reusable batteries alike.
The Ion Speed rechargeable AA batteries from Duracell are an excellent choice for any radio lover on the go.
These NiMH rechargeable batteries come with a 1000 mAh capacity and enough strength to withstand hundreds of charges.
One of the things that makes Duracell’s batteries so impressive is that they come with a charger in the pack, saving you money on extra purchases.
The Duracell best AA rechargeable batteries also feature an auto shutoff system, so you don’t use too much electricity.
- 4 rechargeable AA batteries
- Ion Speed battery charger
- 1000 NiMH performance
- Recharge in 4-8 hours
- Automatic shutoff feature to reduce electricity
- Multi-battery performance
- Last up to 10 years at a time
The Duracell Ion Speed rechargeable AA batteries are great for long-term use and reliability.
There’s a charger included with the kit, and an LED status indicator to show you when charging is finished.
Duracell says these batteries can last up to 10 years, even when you’re not regularly recharging. The charger might not last as long, as it’s a little temperamental.
- Lasts up to 10 years
- Automatic shutoff reduces energy use
- Ion Speed battery charger included
- Quick recharging support
- 1000 mAh capacity
- Charger is a little cheap and temperamental
4. EBL AA and AAA combo
If you have more than one radio, such as a bedside clock radio and a portable option that you need to keep charged, then you might need various kinds of rechargeable batteries.
Fortunately, EBL saves you the hassle of having to buy two separate packs, with the AA and AAA combo package.
If you’re searching for the best rechargeable batteries, and you want a versatile selection, EBL offers a set of 8 rechargeable AA batteries, and 8 AAA cells in one kit.
The product comes with extra protection to reduce degradation after regular recharging.
You should get around 1200 charges out of these batteries, and you can keep them safe with the included storage case.
For the full kit, features include:
- NiMH rechargeable batteries great for reuse
- Storage case for extra protection
- 8 Rechargeable AAA batteries and 8 AA
- Embedded seal structure for durability
- Extra protection from long-term degradation
- Life span of up to 1200 cycles
Convenient and cost-effective, this collection of rechargeable batteries will ensure that you have two of the most common cell-types on hand when you need them most.
The covering on the bottom of the AAA cells might mean that these products don’t work with all chargers.
- NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Both AA and AAA cells included
- Protection case for longer durability
- Support for up to 1200 cycles
- Protection against long-term degrading
- Covering on the bottom of the AA batteries is a problem for some chargers
5. Energizer rechargeable AA batteries
Another well-known brand for the best rechargeable AA batteries, Energizer is a popular company all over the world.
These high-value NiMH rechargeable batteries are available in a pack of 4 or 16. You can also buy the charger from Energizer with the batteries too!
Energizer offers a selection of different battery sizes, including D, and 9V, alongside more common choices.
The Energizer rechargeable AA batteries come with a universal 2000 mAh capacity – making them a lot more long-lasting many leading brands.
This powerful battery features 4% recycled materials, and each battery has a 5-year usable life.
- 2000 mAh universal capacity
- 4% recycled batteries
- Pre-charged and ready to use
- Support for up to 1000 charges
- Last up to 12 months in storage
- 5-year useable battery life
- 5 hours of action from a single charge
Energizer rechargeable AA batteries are currently the world’s leading option for rechargeable energy, based on sales.
A single charge gives you up to 5 hours of battery from your portable or pocket radio, and you can use these products time and time again.
They are a little more expensive than most rechargeable batteries.
- Available in a range of styles and sizes
- 2000 mAh capacity
- 5 year usable life with 12 month storage protection
- 5 hours from a single charge
- 4% recycled materials
- Expensive compared to other brands
6. TENAVOLTS rechargeable AA batteries with charger
If you’re wondering which rechargeable batteries are best, you’ve probably looked at a variety of options, including NiMH and lithium batteries.
The TENAVOLTS rechargeable AA batteries are a set of powerful lithium cells, with a 1.8-hour fast-charge system.
Offering an incredible 2775 mWh performance, these long-lasting batteries are great for devices with a high power demand – such as a loud-volume radio with extra features, like Bluetooth streaming.
The TENAVOLTS rechargeable batteries only take 1.8 hours to fully charge, making them much faster than traditional options.
- A set of 4 rechargeable AA batteries
- 1.8 hour quick charge function
- 2775 mWh power
- Support for up to 1.5 voltage
- Long-lasting (suitable for up to 1,000 cycles)
- Charger included
- USB access for easier charging
To make these rechargeable batteries even better, they come with a USB charger that you can plug into your laptop or computer.
The LED indicator will let you know when your batteries are ready. Plus, the charger turns off automatically when the cells are full.
The price is a little steep for just four batteries.
- Excellent power output
- USB charger included
- Long-lasting support for up to 1,000 cycles
- Quick charge functionality
- LED light to indicate charge
- Quite expensive for just four batteries
7. Panasonic BK-4MCCA8BA
Panasonic is usually better known for its radio systems, televisions, and other tech products than its batteries.
The Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries are some of the most reliable on the market.
Available with a Panasonic Eneloop charger included, these NiMH cells can recharge up to 2,100 times – providing an excellent return on your investment.
If you want a set of the best AA rechargeable batteries for long-term use and durability, Panasonic has you covered.
These batteries can maintain up to 70% of their charge, even after ten years in storage. They also have a fantastic mAh capacity of around 1,900.
- 8 NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Support for up to 2,100 cycles
- Included charger
- Withstand up to 10 years in storage
- Minimal degradation
- 2000 mAh capacity
Offering long-term functionality and peace of mind, the Panasonic Eneloop batteries will quickly pay for themselves.
I’s worth noting that sometimes these batteries can take a little longer to charge than usual. This inconsistency is a bit of a problem when you’re trying to prepare for a trip or an outdoor adventure.
- Excellent NiMH design
- Support for up to 2,100 cycles
- 2000 mAh capacity
- Included charger
- Withstand up to 10 years of storage
- Inconsistent charging times
8. Deleepow lithium rechargeable batteries
Another excellent choice for anyone who wants to make the upgrade from NiMH rechargeable batteries to lithium performance.
The Deleepow rechargeable AA batteries provide an excellent 3200mWh capacity, with a 1,500 cycle and a consistent 1.5-volt output.
Available in both AA and AAA sizes, depending on your radio needs, the Deleepow batteries come with their own charger.
This charger system comes with an LCD that shows the charge level of each of your batteries, so you know which ones are ready to use.
These AA cells will withstand up to 1,500 cycles – great for regular use.
- 1.5 volt 3200 mWh capacity
- Lithium rechargeable AA batteries
- USB charging cable and charger included
- LCD on charger to show charge status
- Work for up to 1,500 cycles
- Lighter and safer tech
- Environmentally friendly
Although Deleepow might not be the best-known brand in the rechargeable batteries market, its kits offer a lot of great features, including LCD screens where you can track the charge of your cells.
The biggest problem with these batteries is that they’re great for FM radio, but can interfere with the sound quality in AM radios.
- Great LCD charger screen
- USB charging for convenience
- Excellent 3200 mWh capacity
- Works for up to 1,500 cycles
- Good for the environment
- May distort AM radio
9. EBL NiMH rechargeable batteries
The EBL NiMH rechargeable batteries come in a pack of 16 or a pack of 28 – so you can stock up if you want to avoid buying any extra batteries for a while.
You can charge these products up to 1,200 times when either fully or partially drained.
The batteries are brilliant for use in a range of products, from HAM radios to bedside radios.
Thanks to an excellent low self-discharge design, your batteries can last for as long as 3 years after non-use, maintaining up to 80% of their charge performance.
The EBL batteries come with a 2300 mAh capacity and their own storage container, so you can keep them safe in the long-term.
- Minimal self-discharge design
- Support for up to 3 years of non-use
- 2300 mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Maintain high performance after multiple charges
- Withstand up to 1,200 cycles
- Great for high-power devices
We particularly like the fact that these batteries come with their own storage case.
It’s easy to keep the batteries safe over long periods of time and take them with you in a backpack when you’re camping or travelling too.
They are a little larger than normal batteries sometimes.
- Minimal degradation
- Work for up to 3 years without use
- 2300 mAh rechargeable batteries
- High performance after multiple charges
- Withstands up to 1,200 cycles
- Can be larger than normal batteries.
10. BONAI rechargeable AA batteries
BONAI offer some of the best rechargeable batteries around, in a variety of sizes.
In this case, we’re looking at the rechargeable AA batteries, which come in a pack of 8, 16, or 24.
These high-value batteries are NiMH cells, with 2800 mAh capacity – much larger than some of the other competing brands on the market.
Like many of the top rechargeable batteries, these products also come with support for up to 1,200 cycles, so you don’t have to worry about replacing them too soon.
These batteries retain up to 80% of their initial capacity after 3 years of no use.
- Protection for up to 3 years of no use
- Pre-charged and ready to use
- Excellent customer service
- Support for up to 1,200 cycles
- 8, 16, or 24 pack
- Reliable NiMH performance
Although these rechargeable batteries are pretty simple and don’t come with their own charger, they get the job done time after time.
One slight issue is that they weigh a little less than other batteries, which some people believe is a sign of lower quality.
- 2800 mAh capacity
- Works for up to 1,200 cycles
- Low self-discharge
- Maintain up to 80% of initial capacity
- Pre-charged on delivery
- Easy to use
- Lightweight and cheap feeling
Which rechargeable batteries are best?
Rechargeable batteries are a great accessory to have on-hand when you need to keep your portable radios charged.
With a good set of rechargeable batteries, you don’t have to worry about wasting all of your money on disposable cells that aren’t great for the environment.
Lithium, alkaline, and NiMH rechargeable batteries keep your radio working strong month after month. Many of them can stand the test of time when you don’t use them regularly too.
Here are a few things to look at when choosing your rechargeable batteries:
The bigger the capacity, the more power you’ll get from a single charge. Bigger capacity batteries do take a little longer to recharge when they run out of energy, though.
Look for batteries that can get to their full capacity fast, so that you can use them much faster. This will mean that you don’t have to wait around to listen to your radio when your batteries are in their charging station.
Lithium batteries are generally more powerful than NiMH rechargeable batteries. It’s worth noting that both products can offer you excellent capacity and performance. It’s worth checking the specs on multiple battery types to see what you prefer.
Rechargeable batteries come in a range of sizes to suit different radios and other tools. Make sure you know what kind of battery you need before you go shopping. It may be helpful to have rechargeable batteries in a range of sizes.
A good set of rechargeable batteries should last charge after charge, without losing too much of its initial capacity. Most products can handle at least 1,000 cycles – but more is better. Don’t forget to look at the lifespan of the battery when it’s sitting without a regular charge too.
Are rechargeable batteries worth it?
Rechargeable batteries could be a great purchase if you often spend a lot of cash keeping your radios powered up with disposable batteries. It pays to know which rechargeable batteries are best.
Disposable cells cost a lot of money to replace over time, and they also contribute to issues with the environment, as many brands still aren’t recyclable.
If you’re looking for a reliable set of batteries, you can’t go wrong with the Energizer AA set, with enough power to withstand up to 5 years of regular use.
If you’d prefer something that comes with its charger, we’d also recommend taking a look at the TENAVOLTS lithium batteries too!
Good luck finding the batteries that keep your radio up and running.
Radio Fidelity: For the love of radio.
Just so you know… This article contains affiliate links. The commission we earn helps to cover our costs, and comes at no additional cost to you. For more information on our affiliate program, please refer to our disclosure policy.