For pocket sized radios to remote controls, the best AAA batteries power much of our lives. Without the best rated AAA batteries, you can find yourself struggling to get much done.
Maybe it’s your CD player, or your remote control. Perhaps you need to power up the new toy you bought for your kid on their birthday.
Whatever you need to energize, a set of AAA batteries is always useful to have to hand.
The best AAA batteries will ensure that you have a quick and convenient way to power your devices, wherever you go.
These days, there are batteries for virtually every occasion, from the rechargeable options that save you money on replacements, to standard alkaline cells.
Although there’s no one-size-fits-all for the most powerful AAA batteries, we thought we’d help you track down some of the leading options around.
This is our list of some of the best-rated AAA batteries available – ideal for your radio.
Our top choices for the best AAA batteries are:
- Duracell Optimum AAA batteries
- Duracell Coppertop AAA batteries
- Allmax AAA maximum power
- Energizer Max AAA and AA
- AmazonBasics alkaline batteries
- Panasonic BK Eneloop NiMH
- Powermax USA ACDelco AAA batteries
- Energizer rechargeable AAA batteries
- Rayovac AAA batteries
1. Duracell Optimum
Duracell Optimum AAA batteries promise extra life and longevity for the products you can’t afford to lose energy with.
While conducting our AAA batteries reviews, we found that these products from Duracell are ideal for portable radios, particularly when you’re going on long hikes and camping trips.
Unlike some AAA batteries, the Duracell Optimums also come with a handy slider pack, which comes with a convenient resealable storage tray to keep your batteries at-hand and well organized.
Versatile and reliable, these are some of the most powerful AAA batteries around, and they work in a wide variety of great items.
- Optimized alkaline AAA batteries
- Convenient resealable package with slider tray
- Versatile performance for a range of devices
- Guaranteed against all defects
- Two active materials for better energy
- Multipacks available
The Duracell Optimum batteries are a little more expensive than some of the alternatives on the market, but they’re extremely reliable.
With a guarantee from Duracell for peace of mind, these batteries will come in handy anywhere. The packaging doesn’t seem to be as useful as it appears, however.
- Comes with resealable packaging
- Guaranteed for peace of mind
- Multipacks for great value
- High quality energy production
- Versatile performance
- Packaging isn’t as helpful as it seems
2. Duracell Coppertop AAA batteries
Another popular choice in our AAA batteries review, the Duracell Coppertop cells are some of the best-known products on the market for a reason.
Guaranteed for ten years of shelf-life, these batteries will continue to get the job done, year after year.
Duracell also guarantees the batteries against any potential defects or damage.
Offering sensational long-lasting power, Duracell Coppertop batteries work well in a host of household appliances.
There’s also the option to buy various budget packs, so you can save money on multiple batteries.
- Dependable long-lasting power for all kinds of products
- Convenient 10-year battery life
- Resistant against all leaks and damage
- Available in multi-pack offers
- Guarantees against defects and damage
These convenient alkaline batteries are some of the best AAA batteries on the market if you’re looking for power from a brand you can trust.
They’re resistant to all kinds of leak and damage and support a range of household needs.
Over time, these cells can begin to lose some of their power. Quality assurance is a little unreliable too.
- Versatile batteries work in a range of products
- 10-year shelf life guarantee from Duracell
- Protected against defects and damage
- Resistant to leaks and common problems
- Available in a value-added pack
- May not hold as much charge as some alternatives
- Some batteries seem to be old when shipped
3. Allmax AAA Maximum Power batteries
Available as a fantastic value pack of either 24 or 48 (depending on how many you need), these alkaline AAA batteries from Allmax are a budget way to power a range of devices.
Suitable for use with dozens of different electronics, these Allmax batteries deliver the standard 1.5 volt power, with a leak-proof structure that stands the test of time.
These long-lasting AAA batteries come with a fantastic 10 year shelf-life guarantee, so you know that you can store them away for later use.
Allmax batteries also benefit from being good for the environment, with no dangerous or toxic materials.
- Excellent alkaline high-performance design
- Long-lasting with low drain performance
- 10-year shelf life
- Safe for the environment
- Compatible with a range of devices
- Value-added packs
Designed for long-lasting performance and everyday use, the Allmax batteries are great to have around if you want to make sure that you always have extra power aside for everything you need, whether it’s a portable radio or a remote control.
These batteries may not last quite as long as some of the other popular products on the market.
- Great budget friendly pack
- Safe for the environment
- 10 years of shelf life
- Compatible with various devices
- Come in a handy resealable package
- Might not last as long as some alternatives
4. Energizer Max AAA & AA
Why just buy AAA batteries, when you can get two of the most common battery options around in one package?
This combo kit of AAA batteries and AA cells will ensure that you always have access to the portable power you need for all of your devices.
These leak-resistant batteries can hold their power for up to ten years in storage, so you don’t waste the cells you haven’t used yet.
These batteries come from the company behind some of the longest-lasting batteries in the world.
- 24 pack of AA and AAA batteries
- One of the longest lasting options
- Holds power for up to 10 years in storage
- Leak resistant and damage resistant
- Holds full charge for up to 2 years
The Energizer Max AAA batteries and AA batteries are a brilliant choice if you want to make sure that you’re prepared for any potential battery needs you might have.
These batteries can even hold their full charge for up to 2 years. They are a little more expensive than some alternatives, and some batteries might arrive as “duds” in your package.
- Excellent long-lasting performance
- Guaranteed for 10 years of storage
- Leak and damage resistant
- Can hold charge for up to 2 years (fully)
- AA and AAA battery combo
- Quite expensive
- Not the best quality control
5. AmazonBasics alkaline batteries
This value pack of high performance AAA batteries from AmazonBasics promise power for a wide selection of devices, including alarm clock radios, game controllers, and digital cameras.
Like many of the best-rated AAA batteries we’ve seen so far, these products come with a 10 year shelf life for storage purposes, and they’re protected against leaks.
Thanks to an improved design, the AAA Batteries from AmazonBasics stay strong against corrosion, so you can enjoy more reliable power for longer.
There’s even an easy-to-open package so you can store your batteries easily too.
- Excellent value pack (36 batteries)
- Easy-to-open packaging for storage
- Resistant to corrosion and leaking
- 10 years of storage life
- Excellent versatility with a range of products
- Environmentally safe
- Backed by a 1 year limited warranty
To give you extra peace of mind for your purchase, AmazonBasics includes a 1-year limited warranty when you buy AAA batteries from them.
This could be something that you end up using, unfortunately, as the quality assurance isn’t as great as it could be.
It’s also worth noting that these batteries may not lasts as long as some market leaders.
- Corrosion and leak resistant
- 1-year warranty included
- Easy-to-open packaging
- Excellent design with environmentally safe ingredients
- Good value
- May not last as long as some alternatives
- Quality control is somewhat lacking
6. Panasonic BK Eneloop NiMH
If you’re sick of throwing away countless AAA batteries month after month, The Panasonic Eneloop batteries could be just the product for you.
These pre-charged rechargeable batteries come in a convenient pack of 8, and they have their own charging station included, so you can recycle your batteries and use them up to 2,100 times!
Better for the environment than standard AAA batteries, the Eneloop cells can maintain up to 70% of their charge for as long as 10 years.
They also come with a NiMH charger that’s quick at recharging, so you can be ready to take your devices wherever you go.
- NiMH pre-charged rechargeable battery
- Recharges up to 2,100 times
- Maintains up to 70% of its charge over 10 years
- No memory effect
- Charging station included
- Charger automatically shuts off when the charge is ready
This set of Panasonic AAA batteries features its own included charger, which automatically shuts down when your batteries reach their full energy levels.
You can even charge up to 4 batteries at once.
Just keep in mind that it can take a while for these batteries to recharge after you’ve used them a few times.
- Efficient rechargeable batteries
- Up to 2,100 recharge cycles
- No memory effect
- Maintain up to 70% of charge over 10 years
- Charging station included
- Can become slower at recharging after a few uses
- Not the most convenient option
7. Powermax USA ACDelco
Another contender for the title of best AAA batteries around, this 48 pack of batteries from Powermax are great for those in search of value on a budget.
Though these AAA batteries might not come from a well-known brand like Energizer or Duracell, they deliver a good quality of performance for a low price, and you also get a standard 10 year shelf life guarantee.
Like many of the best rated AAA batteries around, the Powermax cells feature no dangerous ingredients that might harm the environment during recycling – so they’re a good choice for the environment.
- Standard 1.5 volt charge
- 48 pack of AAA batteries
- Suitable for a wide selection of everyday devices
- Long-lasting power with 10 year shelf life
- No environmentally dangerous components
- Suitable for recycling
- Built to last longer
Although these batteries might not be as ideal for the environment as the best rechargeable AAA batteries, they have a lot of great features to offer, including no mercury or cadmium included.
They’re not as great for delivering long life as some alternatives, and the plastic packaging is annoyingly difficult to cut through.
- No danger to the environment
- 10-year shelf life guaranteed
- Excellent value pack for people on a budget
- Versatile performance
- Not as long-lasting as some alternatives
- Difficult to cut through the plastic packaging
8. Energizer Rechargeable AAA
If you’re looking for some of the best rechargeable batteries around, and you want a lifespan you can rely on, then it’s hard to go wrong with Energizer.
These AAA batteries are ranked as some of the best in the world by countless consumers, with a powerful 2,000 MaH power performance, and a great environmentally-friendly design.
Not only do these AAA batteries feature absolutely no dangerous ingredients, but they come with a 4% recycled contents too.
These batteries will withstand up to 1,000 charges, as well as12 months of storage.
- 8 pack of powerful rechargeable batteries
- Made with 4% recycled batteries
- Ready to go from the moment they arrive
- Powerful 2,000 MaH power
- Extended lifespan of up to 5 years
- Survive up to 12 years in storage
As some of the best rated AAA batteries for those in search of rechargeable performance, the Energizer cells deliver excellent reliability and performance year after year.
It’s worth noting, however, that they don’t come with their own charger, so you’ll need to buy that separately. These AAA batteries can take a while to recharge, too.
- Rechargeable design is good for the environment
- Survives up to 1,000 recharges and 12 months in storage
- Excellent lifespan of up to 5 years
- Fantastic high-power performance
- Made with 4% recycled material
- Take a while to recharge
- Doesn’t come with charger included
9. Rayovac AAA batteries
The Ultra Pro alkaline batteries from Rayovac are a convenient set of cells to keep with you on the move.
We loved the fact that these batteries came with a plastic case that you can reseal for storage purposes.
You get a full set of 18 batteries for a minimal price, which is great if you’re shopping on a budget.
Promising some of the most powerful AAA batteries on the market, these Rayovac products are easy to use and reliable, ready to work with a whole range of products.
These convenient batteries come with a 10 year shelf life and a manufacturer guarantee if you’re not satisfied with the performance.
- 10-year shelf life
- Money back guarantee included
- Excellent pro alkaline formula
- Works with a wide range of devices
- Full set of 18 batteries at a small price
- Leak and corrosion resistant
Like many of the best AAA batteries we’ve covered so far, these cells from Rayovac are completely resistant to leaks and corrosion, although you might notice that some of your batteries are better than others.
The quality assurance for these products is a little lacking in some areas.
And the batteries don’t last as long as some of the other top-rated products on the market.
- Alkaline batteries with professional performance
- 10-year shelf life for peace of mind
- Money-back guarantee included
- Great environmentally-friendly design
- Come in a handy storage package
- Don’t last as long as some alternatives
- Some quality assurance issues
How to Choose the Best AAA Batteries
Choosing the most powerful AAA batteries for your portable radio needs isn’t always easy, there are a lot of options to choose from, and it’s difficult to know straight away if you’re making the right decisions.
We went through some of the best rated AAA batteries above, to help you make your choice.
Here are some extra points you might want to consider when choosing the right batteries:
What kind of battery do you need
Are you looking for a standard set of alkaline batteries that you can throw away when they run out of charge? Do you need something that you can use multiple times with a recharging station. Which option is best for you?
What’s the construction like
The best batteries come with a reliable and durable design that won’t leak or corrode over time. They should also have an environmentally friendly filling that doesn’t harm the planet when you’re throwing your batteries away. Keep an eye out for eco-friendly batteries, even if you’re not using rechargeable.
Are you getting the best value
Getting the right value from a pack of AAA batteries doesn’t just mean that you get the most cells for the lowest price. You need batteries that stand the test of time, and deliver excellent performance for the right price too.
What’s the shelf life like
Your batteries won’t be working in your radios and other equipment all of the time. Some of the less reliable options on the market can lose their charge when they’re left to sit in a drawer for too long. Make sure this doesn’t happen with your batteries. A 10 year shelf-life is the most common standard.
Are they convenient
Finally, think about whether using your batteries is a convenient experience. Do they come in a resealable box so you have somewhere to store the batteries that you’re not using? Do you need to cut through some difficult plastic to get to your batteries when you need them?
Choosing the best AAA batteries
The best AAA batteries are a must-have in any household. Whether you’re looking for the most powerful AAA batteries, or the best rechargeable AAA batteries, there’s plenty of options out there.
Remember, reading up on the AAA batteries reviews that you find online can be an excellent way to boost your chances of making the right purchase.
There’s always a chance that the right batteries for you won’t be the same as the ideal options for someone else.
Good luck finding the power source you need for your portable radio.
Radio Fidelity: For the love of radio.