Looking for the best AA batteries to power your radio? A good set of top rated AA batteries are a valuable investment for a range of household devices.
You use them for everything from your game controllers, to your television remotes, and even the alarm clock that’s sitting in your bedroom.
Designed to serve a host of different purposes, AA batteries are versatile and convenient – and there are dozens of different brand names to choose from these days.
The only problem? Not all batteries are as great as they seem.
Some of the options out there might not give you the longevity or durability you need to support your portable radio.
The chances are you don’t have the time or the patience to compare AA batteries all day yourself.
That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you. Check out our AA batteries reviews to find the most effective options on the market right now.
Our favorite AA batteries are:
1. Amazon Basics 48
Simple and reliable, the Amazon Basics 48 pack of AA batteries is a great value purchase for people who are constantly going through sources of disposable power.
These alkaline cells deliver a standard 1.5 volt performance, suitable for all kinds of devices, including radios and remote controls.
They also come with a 10-year leak-free shelf life guarantee, thanks to a unique seal that’s resistant to both liquid and air.
Offering long-term reliability, the Amazon Basics AA batteries even come with a supreme set of safety features to protect against insulation and leaking issues.
- High value 48 pack bundle
- Alkaline 1.5 volt performance
- 10-year leak-free shelf life
- Long-lasting performance with anti-corrosion components
- Frustration-free packaging for easy access
- Easy to recycle
- Supreme safety built-in.
The high-performance design of these Amazon Basics batteries means that they can deliver the power you need fast, and they come in a frustration-free packet for easy access.
The biggest problem? They don’t last quite as long as some of the competitors in the market today.
Also, these double AA batteries might have some quality consistency issues.
- 1.5 volt performance works with various devices
- Secure and leak-free construction
- 10 year shelf-life for easy storage
- Excellent high-value bundle
- Easy to use packaging
- Don’t last as long as some alternatives
- Might have some quality assurance issues
2. ACDelco 40-Count AA batteries
Another fantastic set of high-quality double AA batteries with a budget-friendly price.
These AA batteries from ACDelco deliver 1.5 volts of long-lasting performance for all of your everyday device, like alarm clock radios, remote controls, and toys.
The ACDelco team promise a safe and dependable performance year after year, with a 10-year shelf life.
Leak resistant and ready to take with you on the move, these handy batteries can serve a range of functions in your life.
Even better, you get the bonus of knowing that the ACDelco AA batteries feature no dangerous materials that may affect the environment.
- Set of 40 high-value AA batteries
- Alkaline construction with 1.5 volt power
- Works with a huge selection of devices
- 10 year shelf-life
- Excellent resistance to corrosion and leaking
- No negative environmental impact
- Come in a handy storage box
One of the things that makes these top rated AA batteries so appealing is the fact that they come with a plastic resealable tub that you can use as a handy storage space.
One slight issue is that these slightly cheaper batteries do come with a shorter shelf life than some options.
You might find some batteries are more resilient than others in the pack.
- Come in a handy storage tub
- High-value bundle pack
- 10 year shelf life for easy storage
- Resistant to leaking and corrosion
- Environmentally friendly
- Not the longest lasting AA batteries
- Some batteries are better than others
3. Energizer Max AA batteries combo
Why just settle for a set of AA batteries when you can get AA cells and AAA in one?
This dual kit of Energizer Max batteries will tackle any home electronic requirements you have with no problem.
The 48 battery set includes 24 AA batteries, and 24 AAA batteries, just in case you misread the label on your portable radio.
Designed by one of the pioneers in battery technology, these portable power solutions are some of the longest-lasting AA batteries on the market, and they come with absolute leak protection to ensure that your devices don’t get damaged.
Your Energizer batteries can even hold power for up to 10 years when left in storage.
- Combo pack of AAA and AA batteries
- Some of the longest lasting batteries on the market
- Can hold a charge for up to 10 years
- Incredible non-leaking protection
- Suitable for all kinds of products
- Standard voltage size for any home electronics
Energizer were responsible for crafting some of the world’s first zero mercury batteries on the market, so you know that your purchase isn’t going to harm the environment either.
If you’re looking for reliability and peace of mind, these could be the double AA batteries for you.
Just bear in mind that the storage box isn’t much good, and the pricing is a little high for some.
- Pioneering long-lasting technology
- Prevents any leaks or corrosion
- Lasts for up to 10 years in storage
- Exceptional durability and performance
- Combo pack solves a range of problems
- Not the best storage box
- Price may be steep for some
4. Duracell Coppertop AA
Another well-known name in the battery world, Duracell is popular across the globe for delivering reliable and durable batteries.
These coppertop AA batteries are long-lasting and effective, and they come in a value pack of 24 cells, so you can save a little cash too.
The Duracell double AA batteries can support a wide selection of household items, including portable radios.
Like many of the best AA batteries on the market, these Duracell products also come with a 10 year guarantee, so you can use them even after you’ve had the batteries in storage for a while.
- Excellent 9 volt performance
- 24 batteries in one bundle pack
- Designed for long-term use
- Long-lasting performance (better than most)
- Guaranteed for 10 years in storage
- Resistant to corrosion and leaking
Probably some of the most popular batteries in the world, the coppertop AA batteries from Duracell are an ideal way to keep an extra source of power on hand for your home electronics.
These aren’t the cheapest products on the market. Another issue for some is that it’s difficult to store the batteries as they don’t come in a resealable package.
- 9 volt performance
- Fantastic long-lasting performance
- 10 year guarantee for storage purposes
- Resist corrosion and leaking
- Pioneering power technology
- Not the cheapest option around
- No resealable package
5. Rayovac Fusion AA batteries
Rayovac might not have the same brand reach as companies like Energizer and Duracell, but they can deliver a fantastic set of AA batteries all the same.
The double AA batteries from the Rayovac Fusion line are specially designed for premium performance going above and beyond the market standards, these batteries are guaranteed to last in storage for up to 12 years.
They’re also carefully designed to resist any forms of corrosion or leakage.
Rayovac promise that these made-in-the-USA batteries will deliver the same kind of quality power as Duracell Optimum batteries – just at a better price tag.
The 16 count package comes with a standard 1.5 voltage.
- 16 pack value price
- Optimized 1.5 volt performance
- Amazing 12 year guarantee
- Protection against corrosion and leaks
- Suitable for all kinds of household products
- High-purity brass for stronger performance
- Patent-pending formula
Rayovac Fusion AA batteries use a patent pending formula to improve the longevity and performance of your household electronics.
These are some of the longest-lasting alkaline products on the market, and they come at a great price.
Quality checking at the company is a little unreliable, as some batteries may arrive in bad shape.
- Unique formula for long-term performance
- Protection against leak and corrosion
- 12 years of guaranteed power
- Durable and reliable solution for all kinds of products
- Great price
- Not all deliveries are up to code
- May not last as long as some alternatives
6. Allmax AA batteries
If you’re looking to stock up on double AA batteries without breaking the bank, then this could be the perfect package for you.
This bulk set of 100 AA Allmax batteries promises high-quality alkaline power, with a 10-year shelf life and leak-proof design.
One of the most affordable battery bundles we’ve seen, these Allmax batteries advertise low-drain power, so your devices last longer.
Another massive bonus of these top rated AA batteries is that they’re friendly to the environment.
There aren’t any dangerous ingredients like mercury to worry about.
- Massive bulk set in a convenient box
- Works with a range of home electronics
- 10 year storage life guaranteed
- Long-lasting performance
- Durable and reliable design
- No dangerous ingredients like mercury
Ready to power everything from your portable radio to your CD player, these AA batteries get the job done without breaking the bank.
During our AA batteries review, we did notice that some of the cells were in worse shape than others.
Also, these batteries don’t seem to last as long as some of the more expensive alternatives.
- Excellent value if you’re on a budget
- Environmentally friendly design
- Handy storage box included with the packaging
- Useful for all kinds of home electronics
- 10 year shelf life guaranteed
- Some batteries may be in worse quality than others
- Don’t last as long as alternative options
7. Energizer rechargeable AA
Why spend a fortune constantly replacing the batteries in your radio with new options, when you could just recharge the same batteries over and over?
These high-performance Energizer rechargeable AA batteries will help you to save money on your monthly expenses.
The 16 pack of batteries recharge quickly, so they’re ready to go whenever you need a source of energy.
Not only are these batteries versatile, but they’re durable too, with each cell withstanding up to 10,000 charges.
On top of that, your batteries can last up to 12 months in storage too, with a 5 year usable lifespan.
One charge should deliver anywhere up to 8 hours of power.
- World’s number 1 rechargeable battery
- Full set of 16 rechargeable batteries
- 2000 mAh NiMH performance
- 4% recycled construction
- 5 year usable battery life and holds charge for 12 months
- Lasts up to 8 hours on one charge
- Can be charged as many as 1,000 times
If you’re tired of constantly throwing away used AA batteries, the Energizer rechargeable options are the top rated in the market for performance and resilience.
These handy batteries will come in useful multiple times before you throw them out, and they’re good for the environment too.
Just keep in mind that you will need to buy a charger for your batteries separately.
- Better for the environment than single-use
- 5 year usable battery life and holds charge for 12 months
- Up to 8 hours of power on a single charge
- Withstands up to 1000 charging sessions
- Excellent high-quality design
- You need to remember to recharge them
- You have to buy the charger separately
8. Duracell Optimum AA Batteries
Promising unbeatable power and durability, Duracell Optimum batteries are the ideal choice if you want a premium performance every time.
These longer-lasting double AA batteries are the perfect pick if you can’t afford to run out of energy mid-song on your favorite radio station.
This handy slider pack even comes with a resealable storage feature, so you can keep your batteries organized.
Versatile and reliable, these Duracell optimum batteries are guaranteed against any defects in quality, and they can spend years in storage without losing their charge.
- Ground-breaking long-lasting device
- Helps devices to run for longer
- Standard 1.5 volt design
- Excellent durability against leaks
- Resealable slider pack included
- Guarantee included for peace of mind
- Universal compatibility
The Optimum AA batteries from Duracell can help you to squeeze extra life out of your devices.
It’s worth noting that you will pay extra for this product compared to some of the other, cheaper sells.
We didn’t find the reusable slider pack to be as convenient as it seemed during our AA batteries reviews.
- Ground-breaking technology for longer performance
- Excellent universal compatibility
- Duracell guarantee included
- Protects against leaks and corrosion
- Powerful results
- Not the best packaging
- Quite expensive compared to alternatives
9. EBL rechargeable batteries
If you like the idea of being able to recharge your AA batteries, rather than just throwing them away when you’re finished with them, these EBL batteries could be ideal for you.
Offering a 2800mAh power performance and a lifespan that lasts up to 1,200 cycles, these are some of the more durable rechargeable batteries around.
The great thing about these EBL AA batteries, is that you don’t have to source your charger separately.
The products come with a 5 volt USB charger so you can constantly recharge your batteries whenever you like.
- 8 pack of rechargeable batteries
- Survive up to 1,200 cycles
- Effective low self-discharge performance to expand lifespan
- Hold up to 80% power for 3 years
- Independent USB battery charger included
- Convenient battery storage case
Compatible with a huge selection of home electronics, these EBL rechargeable batteries will give you an affordable and energy-efficient way to keep your devices powered on.
The batteries even come with their own storage case, so you never lose them.
These batteries don’t last quite as long as some of the top rated AA batteries. And you might notice an occasional issue with the charger.
- Cost and energy efficient rechargeable batteries
- Can withstand up to 1,200 charging cycles
- Suitable for all kinds of home electronics
- Holds up to 80% power for three years
- USB-powered battery charger included
- The charger might not work all the time
- Don’t last as long as some alternatives
10. Energizer Ultimate lithium
Finally, not all batteries are alkaline. If you want a more durable and reliable option for your portable radio, you could always consider a set of lithium batteries instead.
These lithium Energizer AA batteries are some of the best on the market, capable of performing in extreme temperatures of between minus 40 and 140 degrees fahrenheit.
Some of the world’s longest lasting AA batteries, these Energizer cells can last up to five times longer than other alkaline batteries in your portable radios and similar devices.
- Withstand temperatures between -40 and 140 degrees fahrenheit
- Lats up to 7 hours longer in some devices
- Lasts up to five times longer than alkaline batteries
- Suitable for a wide range of products
- Durable long-lasting performance
- Excellent plastic box for storage
Simple and effective these top rated AA batteries are an excellent choice if you’re searching for a lithium solution to your power needs.
Just make sure you’re definitely getting the batteries from Energizer, or you could end up with counterfeits. Also, make sure that you store these batteries carefully or they could deteriorate.
- Reliable lithium performance
- Last longer than most standard lithium batteries
- Come with a handy plastic box
- Suitable for various home electronics
- Withstands extreme temperatures
- May lose performance when in storage
- Be careful of counterfeit products
How to compare AA batteries
Choosing the best AA batteries for your electronics can be a bit of a trial and error process.
There’s no guarantee that the top rated AA batteries on the market will deliver the same results for you as everyone else.
Choosing a product with a good reputation is usually the best way to protect yourself against potential problems.
When choosing your AA batteries, here are some of the factors you might want to think about:
Disposable or rechargeable
The best AA batteries come in a range of designs and styles. If you want to get the most out of your AA batteries, figure out whether you’re looking for rechargeable options you can use time and time again, or a set of disposable cells. Though rechargeable batteries are better for the environment, they may not last as long as single-use alternatives, and you do need to remember to recharge them.
Aside from obvious choices, like whether you need lithium or alkaline AA batteries, it’s also worth looking at the other materials used in the battery. Some proprietary technology can help your batteries to last longer. There are various options out there that are more friendly to the environment too, because they don’t include mercury or any other dangerous components.
Some AA batteries definitely last longer than others, that’s something we discovered for ourselves during our AA batteries reviews. When you start to compare AA batteries, make sure you pay attention to how long they can give you power for. Some products hold more of a charge than others.
If you’re going to be storing your batteries for a while, you need the longest lasting AA batteries on the market that will not lose their charge over time. Most of the best options today come with at least a 10 year shelf life, and resistance to any corrosion or leakage that might require you to throw your batteries away too soon.
Choosing the best AA batteries
Hopefully the reviews above will help you choose the best AA batteries for your radio. There are plenty of top rated AA batteries available today.
Our top choice for reliability and performance are the Energizer Max combo batteries sets, equipped with all the power you need to keep your devices running for longer.
Energizer batteries are some of the most popular on the market for a reason, and they offer excellent peace of mind in terms of durability.
Good luck finding the batteries that work for you.
Radio Fidelity: For the love of radio.