Senior Editor and Researcher
When bad weather strikes, you can’t rely on traditional radios to keep up with the latest news.
Instead, you need a weather radio, a receiver made for government alerts, weather forecasts, and up-to-the-minute updates.
What are the best weather radios?
Here are the top 10 weather radios for safety during storms:
· Midland ER310
· FosPower Emergency Solar Hand Crank
· Kaito KA340 Weather Alert Radio
· RunningSnail Emergency Hand Crank
· Eton American Red Cross FRX3+
· Givoust Emergency Weather Crank
· Sangean MMR-88
· Midland WR120B
· Kaito Voyager Pro Weather Radio
· Midland WR400 Deluxe NOAA Radio
This guide to weather radios will review the models above, including the pros and cons, so you can adequately prepare for the next weather event.
What Is a Weather Radio?
What separates a weather radio from a traditional terrestrial radio?
It’s a specialized device for receiving updates and broadcasts about weather-related events.
If an emergency news bulletin comes in, you will hear it right away, as it will disrupt the prior broadcast.
Another unique element of weather radios is how they pretune to the weather or sound an alarm if you switch bands or mute the radio during a weather event.
Weathering the Storm: 10 Best Weather Radios You Need
Never miss a weather alert with the reliable Midland ER310.
This weather radio has three methods for deriving power. You can crank it by hand to manually recharge the battery, use solar power to generate juice for the lithium-ion battery or recharge it via a USB port.
The battery lasts 32 hours of consecutive use and can run on six AA batteries when it runs out of power.
Its NOAA Weather Scan mode seeks seven weather bands consecutively, selecting the strongest channel for consistent weather updates.
An SOS flashlight beacon uses Morse code to receive or send emergency signals.
The included dog whistle can alert others to your location.
Users have reported false alarms, so stay diligent and be smart when using this radio.
- MULTIPLE POWER SOURCES - The ER310 features 3 sustainable power sources to recharge your radio: Solar Panel, Hand Crank, & Rechargeable 2600 mAh Battery. SOLAR PANEL - Simply recharge the internal lithium ion battery with direct sunlight. HAND CRANK - Recharge the radio during a power outage or anytime away from a power source. RECHARGEABLE 2600 mAh BATTERY - The rechargeable & replaceable long life battery provides up to 32 hours of radio operation. The ER310 can also be powered by 6 “AA” Batteries (Not Included) as a backup power solution.
- EMERGENCY FLASHLIGHT - The SOS FLASHLIGHT BEACON flashes Morse code in an emergency scenario and the Bright CREE LED (130 Lumens) can be used to signal for help. Select the Low brightness setting to conserve battery life or the High brightness setting for maximum illumination.
- NOAA WEATHER SCAN + ALERT - NOAA Weather Scan will automatically scan through 7 available weather (WX) band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates. NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather in your area. AM/FM radio is also available.
- CHARGE EXTERNAL DEVICES - Quickly charge your portable devices (cell phones, tablets, etc.) using the USB charging cable (included).
- ULTRASONIC DOG WHISTLE - Use the dog whistle to assist search and rescue teams in locating individuals during an emergency situation.
The FosPower Emergency Solar Hand Crank is a bright-colored, inexpensive weather radio.
Its power bank is 2,000 mAh and can generate emergency power for a smartphone or tablet if you don’t have power at home.
This option from FosPower uses five power sources: solar power, a crank lever, rechargeable batteries, standard batteries (AAAs), or micro-USB charging.
Its 1-watt flashlight and four LED lights can be used for reading or retaining illumination if the rest of your house has no power.
Tune into NOAA emergency weather broadcasts on AM or FM through this radio.
The exterior has IPX3 water resistance, and the SOS alarms instantly tell anyone within earshot where you are. This radio comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
According to users, the sound quality can be low and full of static.
- [2000MAH POWER BANK WILL KEEP DEVICES POWERED] FosPower's emergency radio incorporates a 2000mAh power bank capable of providing emergency power to any small tablet or phone.
- [3 POWER SOURCES POWER WHEN YOU NEED IT] Use the emergency weather radio's 3 power sources when you need a boost of power or need to recharge the radio. The radio's crank lever and solar panel are both capable of regenerating enough power to keep the radio, lights, and SOS alarm ready to go when you need it most. AAA Batteries ensure you have power when not able to regenerate power.
- [2 LIGHT SOURCES ALWAYS POWERED] The emergency crank radio can also provide light. The 4 LED reading light and 1W flashlight provides enough output to keep you and your loved ones out of the dark in an emergency situation.
- [NOAA EMERGENCY WEATHER BROADCAST ACCESS] The radio will dependably receive up to the second emergency weather forecasts and emergency news broadcasts from NOAA and AM/FM stations.
- [LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY] Includes a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Please visit FosPower's website for more information.
The Kaito KA340 is more than a weather radio. It’s also a valuable aid for camping.
The radio has eight LED lights that can flash in various patterns, and its five-way flashlight will keep you from sitting around in the dark.
Connect the KA340 to your smartphone instantly using wireless Bluetooth, then tune into the NOAA/SW weather band or AM/FM weather alerts.
This radio has five power sources: AA batteries, a rechargeable lithium battery, five-volt DC USB power, solar power, or hand cranking.
Its smooth carrying handle makes it transportable in emergencies, while its included microphone allows you to utilize a voice feature.
It has a 32-gigabyte SD card reader and an MP3 player, which–while certainly cool–seem extraneous for a weather radio.
- 5-Way powered do-it-all camping lantern and emergency radio: hand crank generator, photovoltaic cells, built-in li ion rechargeable battery (non-replaceable), 5V micro USB input (charging cable included), 3 AA batteries (not included)
- Comprehensive broadcasting coverage includes local AM/FM, 24/7 NOAA weather channels as well as shortwave stations around the globe; Weather alert function automatically activates the radio in the event of an emergency, such as hurricane, earthquake, flood, tornado, thunderstorm, wild fire, and other warnings
- Built-in li-ion 2,300 mAh rechargeable battery provides 16 hours of lighting, or 20 hours radio playing time, or fully charges most of the mobile phones once with a standard plug-n-charge 5V USB output, compatible with both Apple and Android smart phones
- Playing your favorites tunes loud and clear by wireless streaming from your smart phone, tablet computer, or any other Bluetooth-enabled device, or using a micro-SD memory card (MP3 only and 32GB maximum)
- A versatile and indispensable device for every household, and a dependable and reliable tool even when everything else fails, suitable applications include camping, backpacking, picnic, other outdoors recreational activities, and emergency / disaster preparedness, roadside emergency, and etc.
Another camping-friendly weather radio is courtesy of RunningSnail.
This emergency hand crank radio uses other power sources if you have them available, including USB charging, solar panels, and phone charging so you can communicate with loved ones or contact the police.
You won’t be in a perilous pitch-black situation when you can rely on this radio’s one-watt LED flashlight.
Its 2,000 mAh battery should last long enough for the latest weather alerts on FM or AM.
It’s lightweight and designed for portability if you’re moving. RunningSnail offers an 18-month replacement promise and a 30-day money-back promise.
Users have reported the flashlight can sometimes get stuck on, unnecessarily draining the battery.
- 【HOME & OUTDOOR NECESSARY】As reported, we used to experience several times natural disasters per year like hurricanes"Harvey", Wildfire, and so on. The emergency weather Radio will keep your family safe through it all. This Weather Radio can timely report emergency weather alerts in your areas to be well prepared; A 2000mAh Built-in Li-ion battery to charge most of the device until power back; A LED flashlight with rugged cover design could light up your darkness.
- 【2000mAh PHONE CHARGER】When we are trapped in an emergency，This emergency radio with a 2000mAh emergency power bank may be our life-saving tool. The emergency portable radio works with most USB powered devices, which could provide enough emergency power for important calls to your family, the emergency services, or for contacting assistance in emergency situations.
- 【3-WAY POWER SOURCES】The solar crank radios with multiple power backup options are the best choice in the emergency package. 3 Power Source including Hand Crank, Solar Panel, Built-in Li-ion Rechargeable Battery, to make it easier to keep the emergency radio running during a prolonged situation where power is off and batteries have been used up. Never Power outage!
- 【PORTABLE RADIO WITH FLASHLIGHT】This pocket-sized portable emergency radio's dimension is 5*1.8*2.4inch and weight 0.5 LB, which is surprisingly small and light. Also, it comes with 1W LED Flashlight, which will cut through the blackness and maximize visibility. Carrying around a large unit is quite difficult when you have to move around during emergencies, this emergency radio is a smart choice.
- 【CUSTOMER TECHNICAL SUPPORT】Your voice drives us to be the best. We back our emergency weather radio with an 18-months Warranty! If you are not satisfied with this NOAA weather radio, we will provide the solution for you immediately as you contact us. And our customer service is here for you 24/7 for anything you need! NO RISK FOR YOUR PURCHASE！
One of the coolest-looking weather radios is the Eton Red Cross FRX3+ emergency radio.
Of course, looks don’t matter when you’re in a life-threatening situation, but don’t worry, as this radio is ultra-functional.
That’s why the American Red Cross proudly puts its name on it.
This radio can switch between FM, AM, and NOAA weather bands (all seven).
It has a digital LCD display that tells time, indicates the station, and can work as an alarm clock.
A built-in LED flashlight is handy if you lose your main light source in the wreckage, and the red flashing beacon can help others find you amidst the rubble. The display is backlit.
If you want nothing but the latest news updates, tune into the Alert mode, keeping the FRX3+ charged via a hand crank, rechargeable battery, or solar panels.
The glow-in-the-dark locator is a handy safety feature, and this radio even has an external MP3 player, a headphone output, and an AUX input.
However, as with the Kaito KA340, these features aren’t wholly necessary in a weather radio.
- Emergency Radio: Be prepared for any emergencies and disasters with this rechargeable, weather alert radio with solar panel and hand turbine power generator; No emergency kit is complete without this multipurpose tool.
- Stay Alert: The “Alert” function automatically broadcasts any emergency weather alerts for your area; Keep it charged VIA solar panel, hand crank or a built-in rechargeable battery.
- Multifunction Digital Device: This AM/FM/NOAA weather band digital radio with display and alarm clock can also charge a smartphone via USB port; Also features an LED flashlight and red flashing beacon for visibility anywhere.
- Keep Connected: From World Band and Weather Alert radios, to solar powered sound systems and connected home products, we'll keep you connected and in the know at home, in the office, on the road or in the great outdoors.
- Eton's Commitment to Preparedness: We're committed to helping you be prepared for everyday fun and unexpected emergencies, whether you’re out on a 10-day backpacking trip, or just barbecuing in the backyard.
Emergency-ready, the Givoust weather-crank radio requires spinning for 60 seconds to generate power.
If you have power and sunlight available, you can also try solar energy, AAA batteries (three), and USB charging, which take up to seven hours.
This weather receiver tunes into NOAA bands and AM/FM signals so you can listen to the latest weather updates in your area.
It’s portable if you’re on the go, and with an LED flashlight included, it doubles as another light source.
The 4,000 mAh battery bank can provide up to 20 hours of radio if you maintain a consistent volume. It also has an AUX input for playing music, which it can do for up to 35 hours.
Users have said this radio is very loud, even on a lower volume setting.
- 【Ready for Emergency 】This weather alert radio is a versatile unit ,which broadcast the lastest weather and hazard information for your area in time , such as earthquake, hurricanes, winter storms and other natural disasters,ensuring that best preparation for it in advance.Using FM, AM and NOAA weather forecast station, you can also get the latest weather broadcasting even in non-stormy weather.
- 【No Electricty?Don't Worry!】Putting in the dilemma of blackout?Staring at a dead phone battery in the storm?Don't worry.A 4000mAH power bank charge your phone in an emergency or disaster. During a power cut, the fully emergency weather radio provides up to 18-20 hours of flashlight time or 18-20 hours of radio play（depending on the sound volume)or 30-35 hours of AUX music play,let you out of the dark and don't feel bored.
- 【4 Ways to Keep Power】 Solar powered radio is not just direct charging by USB cable，but also supporting hand-crank powered , solar powered and battery charged.When the electricity saved by emergency radio is used up, don't worry. You can also chargeweather alert radio by Cranking or Solar Charging to ensure that emergency weather radio has electricity to accompany you through the blackout period.
- 【LCD Screen&Weather Alert】This weather alert radio has LCD screen which gives you a clear picture of the remaining electricity,volume,channel information.And this emergency radio has weather alert function.Once receives bad weather information,"ALERT" will flash on the screen and the device will alarm.Prepare you for disaster in advance and keep you safe in the event of disaster.
- 【 Multi Function& Service Gurantee】The emergency weather radio with 4000 mAh battery capacity, flashlight and SOS warning, comes with AUX music players, is suitable for outdoor activities.Such as camping,hiking,cambing.We guaranty a 12-month warranty and lifetime customer service to make it no risk for your purchase.
Sangean is one of the most known names in radio.
While most of its radios are for everyday listening pleasure, the MMR-88 is a weather emergency radio built to provide news during severe weather events.
The 38-millimeter speaker includes a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack for plugging in to listen to the news discreetly or quietly.
The USB-A port produces an output of 0.3 amps and 5 volts. It can generate enough power for a smartphone to call emergency services.
The MMR-88 features an emergency buzzer and loudspeaker, so you never miss an alert.
You can also use its triple LED lighting when in distress, shifting between four lighting patterns: SOS, blinking, low, and high.
This Sangean radio has 19 radio station presets between FM and AM and can access every NOAA radio frequency.
It’s IPX waterproof with reinforced rubber on the corners, so it doesn’t shatter if you drop it.
The MMR-88 has a hand crank and can run on solar or battery power.
Unfortunately, it has a short battery life.
- receives all 7 noaa weather channels & reports
- 19 random preset stations
- dc out（5v / 0.3a）usb a type socket for charging mobile phone or mp3 player. dc in（5v / 0.5a）micro usb b type socket for charging
- powered by handcrank dynamo/solar panel/dc input. public alert-certified weather radio
- micro usb-b input to recharge lithium battery
Another great pick from Midland for staying alert during storms and emergencies is the WR120B.
Its monitor is public alert-certified and can pick up on seven NOAA channels to determine whether thunderstorms, tornados, or floods are coming to your area.
Its display plainly shows the impending weather, and color-coded alerts indicate the severity.
Select from French, English, or Spanish for the display.
Its memory system can remember data for 25 counties, and its SAME alert programming feature only generates a warning if your county is at risk.
Keep the WR120B charged by using three AA alkaline batteries.
The top features are a power button, external alert, cloning port, and external antenna.
Press the Weather/Snooze button for instant alerts or to turn them off.
The only downside of this radio is that it uses battery power and doesn’t have a hand crank.
- NOAA Weather Scan & Alert - This emergency weather alert radio features S.A.M.E localized programming and alert you to over 60 kinds of weather hazards and emergencies. NOAA Weather Scan will automatically alert you of events such as tornadoes, hurricanes, thunderstorms, floods, wildfires, civil danger warnings and more.
- S.A.M.E Localized Programming - The Specific Area Message Encoding (S.A.M.E.) allows the user to enter a code that is specific to your country, state, county and in some cases partial county. Midland Weather Radios are easy to set up – simply select your country, state, and county without having to look up your specific SAME code.
- Notification Settings - Program your radio to receive weather alerts from up to 25 different counties and be alerted only when those specific counties are threatened. Color-coded alert indicators provide a quick way for the user to see missed alerts or determine the alert type and its severity (advisory, watch, or warning). Alert Override automatically switches over during use to warn you of impending danger.
- Additional Features - SAME localized programming, continuous backlighting option which keeps the LCD on, 25 programmable counties, color-coded alert indicators, alert override automatically switches over to warn of impending danger, alarm clock with snooze. This device uses 3AA batteries for emergency power backup.
- Experience a comprehensive range of radios from Midland, designed to keep you connected and informed. Our radios offer an array of features, including reliable real-time weather alerts, and robust two-way communication capabilities. Trust Midland as your preferred seller to ensure an authentic and superior experience. Stay connected with Midland radios and embrace the power of seamless communication.
The KA600, or Voyager Pro, is another Kaito weather radio to consider.
This radio taps into the National Weather Radio’s Emergency Alert System to deliver NOAA weather alerts straight to you as they happen.
You can receive public safety, environmental, and natural event warnings and take shelter or prepare after the worst.
The Voyager Pro includes an AC adapter, registration card, earphones, and user manual in the box, so you can use it once it arrives.
When the battery drains, you have your pick of ways to recharge this radio, including cranking and solar power.
Once the battery is powered up, use the Voyager Pro’s auxiliary input jack to connect an external auxiliary device or switch on the five-LED flashlight, which doubles as a reading lamp.
The included solar panel is adjustable 180 degrees.
This weather radio has a digital backlit display and uses memory, ATS, direct digital entry, and manual tuning.
It can retain more than 330 preset memories, so you don’t have to jump from station to station.
Other handy features are a humidity reader, thermometer, sleep timer, alarm clock, and calendar.
Users have said the battery goes fast on this weather radio, so keep that in mind before purchasing.
- Dynamo and Solar Powered AM/FM/LW Shortwave & NOAA weather radio with back-lit digital display, NOAA all hazards alert & RDS
- 4 tuning methods including manual, direct digit entry, ATS & memory tuning with 335 memories for easy access to favorite stations
- Calendar, alarm clock with dual settings, sleep timer, thermometer & humidity meter
- 180-degree adjustable solar panel with 5-LED reading lamp, Flashlight
- 5 Ways of Charging the radio,Auxiliary input jack available for external audio devices
Weather alerts won’t catch you by surprise with the Midland WR400.
This deluxe radio operates as a NOAA emergency alert scanner. Its SAME digital technology grants access to all seven NOAA weather channels.
When conditions are less than optimal, the radio will produce a siren at 85 decibels (although you can adjust the volume of the alert) so you can get to safety.
The digital display is available in three languages–a Midland staple.
This weather radio uses four AA batteries as a backup, so you always have a line of communication to local weather alerts.
Choose from more than 80 color-coded weather alerts that pertain to your area, selecting from more than 20 programmable locations.
The design of this radio could be clearer, but that’s the only downside.
- NOAA Weather Scan + Alert: NOAA Weather Scan will automatically scan through 10 available weather (WX) band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates. NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather in your area. NOAA Weather Radio will also be used to broadcast AMBER alerts for missing children.
- S.A.M.E Programming: Improve your emergency preparedness with equipped with digital S.A.M.E. technology, weather radio seamlessly connects to your county's warning system, providing you with instant weather updates from the National Weather Service. Features a convenient USB output, allowing you to charge your devices directly from the radio itself. Program up to 25 counties and choose from 80 different emergency alerts, this advanced weather radio from Midland ensures that you stay informed.
- Warning System: Experience customizable alert options with the WR400 Warning System. You have the flexibility to choose how you want to be alerted, whether it's through an 85 dB siren alarm, a voice alert, or a visual LED flasher. 80 different emergency alerts to keep you informed about various critical situations. Emergency power backup functionality. By using four "AA" batteries (not included), ensure that the radio continues to operate during power outages or when you're using it outdoors.
- Features: Experience the convenience of an Alarm Clock Radio with the Midland WR400. Features a built-in clock with an alarm and a snooze button, along with an AM/FM radio. Wake up to your choice of local weather updates, AM/FM radio stations, or a traditional buzzing alarm. Automatically switches from AM/FM mode to relevant all-hazard alerts, and you'll receive important emergency alerts without having to manually switch modes. Stay informed and start your day off right.
- Alarm Clock: The built-in clock features an alarm with a snooze button and a AM/FM Radio. Wake up to local weather, AM/FM, or buzz. It automatically switches from AM/FM to pertinent all-hazard alerts.
You need a reliable way to track what’s happening during an emergency so you can take shelter or evacuate, and weather radios are the solution.
The radios we looked at today have several recharge modes. Whether you have access to power or are in the dark, you can keep your battery running and the radio on.
During emergencies, you can always count on emergency and weather radios. However, did you know that Ham Radio Can Be A Reliable Emergency Disaster Tool?
Aside from this, you can also buy Batteryless Radios which are pretty reliable in any given situation.
Just so you know… This article contains affiliate links. The commission we earn helps to cover our costs, and comes at no additional cost to you. For more information on our affiliate program, please refer to our disclosure policy.